Happy Earth Day! Rather than trying to make a difference only one day out of the year, why not make some changes to the way that you travel each and every time you take off. Here are 7 of our favorite tips for an environmentally friendly vacation.
- Before you leave, adjust your thermostat and unplug any electronics in order to conserve as much energy as possible while you are gone.
- Book non-stop flights if they are available. Taking off and landing both contribute to a significant percentage of a plane’s carbon emissions.
- Reduce your water and energy use by reusing your sheets and towels at your hotel instead of having them changed every day. Simply hang your towels instead of leaving them on the floor, and skip a day or two of housecleaning services if you are staying multiple nights
- Cut down on car rides as much as possible. If you can, try to walk, bike or use public transportation to get around. This will help lessen your carbon footprint and not to mention is one of the best ways to see a new city.
- Bring reusable items. We all know we should be bringing refillable water bottles when we travel, but don’t forget to pack things like reusable shopping bags and refillable toiletry containers. Not only will it be better for the environment, but will also save you money in the end.
- Try to limit your AC or heat while staying in your hotel room. Also, do not forget to turn it off, along with the lights and TV whenever you leave – even if it is just for breakfast.
- Do the best you can to purchase food and souvenirs from local vendors. (Remember to use that reusable tote you brought along!)
Now that you are going to help protect the environment, don’t forget to help protect your travel plans. Get a quote today at www.travelinsured.com.