Traveling abroad is exciting but also very different from the U.S. It’s unfamiliar to most people, so it’s important to know how to stay safe. Each city has different safety concerns, but some safety tips are the same regardless of location.
- Research the destination ahead of time to find out what crimes are prevalent, if any. Safety concerns are different in a place like Disney than Egypt.
- Find out what areas to avoid at your destination, like which neighborhoods are threatening or where foreigners tend to get scammed or robbed.
- Be aware of your surroundings. It’s easy to get caught up in the beauty of a new place, especially while taking photos. Try to stay as observant as possible.
- Don’t carry valuables with you. For example, wearing an expensive watch could tip off that you have money. The same goes for your cash. Don’t ever show your cash in public, and leave some in the hotel safe.
- If you carry a purse, make sure you’re carrying it securely so thieves won’t be able to grab it easily.
- Lock all door locks in your hotel room. For extra precaution, you can purchase a portable door stop alarm that will wake you up if an intruder opens the door.
- Know the local emergency number for your destination (it’s most likely not 911 at your destination). Some countries are a bit corrupt and the authorities may want money in return, so do your research on this too!
- Lock your belongings in your hotel room when you aren’t there, and tie the zippers of bags together when transporting them. Take pictures of the outside and inside of your baggage. Photos can help airlines find your bag, and it’s also evidence in case you need to file a claim for the bag or items inside.
- Travel protection can help you out in a variety of scenarios. If there is a safety emergency, it can help you get the proper care and even transportation back home. Get a quote today and find out more about travel coverage at www.travelinsured.com.
How do you stay safe when traveling abroad? Tell us your tips below!