Traveling is one of the most rewarding experiences during your lifetime, but can also be one of the most dangerous. Many undesirable incidents can occur while traveling and many individuals can find themselves with major problems if they don’t stay aware and take actions to avoid any mishaps. Identity theft is one of the most reoccurring criminal activities linked to travel, and in this day and age with the explosive growth of smart phones, and social media, there are even more ways that a travelers identity can be stolen.
Travel Insured International® includes ID theft recovery assistance at no extra cost in two travel insurance plans – Worldwide Trip Protector and Worldwide Trip Protector Gold.
ID Theft recovery services provided include:
- Helps to replace lost or stolen passport, or travel documents.
- Filing loss or theft reports with local authorities.
- Helping deactivate and replace stolen credit or debit cards.
- Contacting credit bureaus to help restore pre-fraud credit ratings.
- Contacting banks and creditors to protect accounts.
- Notifying family or employer about missing data.
Several ID theft prevention tips may seem like common sense, but are common important to constantly remind yourself as well as your other travel companions.
- Never carry a social security card in your wallet or purse. Lock it away safely at home.
- Keep personal profile information private on social media pages. Never post any financial- related info or Identity-related numbers. The same is true in text messages.
- Use credit cards, not debit cards for travel. Charges can be reversed. Debit cards tap bank accounts directly.
- Do not put a credit card number or other financial information on public computers.
- Never leave an ATM or credit card swipe machine until a transaction is completed and machine is cleared.
- Never give credit card info over the phone to a hotel employee. Go to the front desk and confirm the validity of the request.
- Be aware of ATM machine surroundings. Watch for anyone taking your picture with a digital camera or mobile device.
It is important to protect your identity to the fullest while traveling – don’t leave without protection!