Each year we try to find what the most popular travel trends will be for the upcoming year. Luckily, most of the trends this year are going to be favorable to travelers. Check out what travel trends we’ve uncovered for 2016 and start thinking about where you want to take a trip this year!
- Affordable travel. Economically, 2016 will be a great year to travel. Low gas prices will encourage travelers to take road trips, and the strong U.S. Dollar means international travel will be particularly popular.
- Changes to airlines. Most airlines will offer cheaper tickets to travelers but the only thing included in that price is the seat itself. Expect to pay more fees for extras, like choosing an assigned seat.
- Cuba. Travel to Cuba has become a reality over the last year, and in 2016 the number of travelers heading there will double. More and more airlines are going to fly into Cuba, but there are currently still restrictions for Americans that you’ll need to be aware of.
- Sharing economy. The sharing economy will remain as strong as ever this year. Services like Uber and Airbnb continue to provide excellent value in comparison to taxis or hotels. Plus, hotel prices are expected to rise in 2016, so more people may try home sharing to save money.
- Wi-Fi. Internet access is now one of the most important factors for travelers. Many people will eliminate a booking option exclusively because Wi-Fi isn’t available. You may see more Wi-Fi availability during 2016 because of this demand.
- Work-life balance. Some people are calling this trend “bleisure,” a combination of business and leisure. People want a better work-life balance, so they’ll add leisure to business trips by extending it into the weekend or by bringing the family along.
- Direct booking deals. Airline and hotel websites are likely to offer more deals and specials to encourage travelers to book directly through them instead of through a third-party. Hilton, for example, has offered free Wi-Fi only to those who book directly on their website.
Do you have any travel plans for 2016 yet? Share with us in the comments below!
Don’t forget to review your travel protection options when you book a trip! Visit www.travelinsured.com for more information.