You’ve booked your next trip abroad! No matter how experienced of a traveler you are, sometimes mistakes happen. Here are some of the most common passport mistakes you should be sure to avoid before you leave.

Waiting too long to apply.

If you do not have a passport yet, be sure you give yourself enough time to apply and to receive it in the mail. Regular passport service can take an average of six to eight weeks after the application is submitted. If you are in a rush, expedited service takes about three weeks, and also costs an extra $60.

Not checking the expiration date.

 Before you go, always look at the year your passport was issued. According to Travel, add 10 years to the date of issuance if you were over 16 when you got the passport, or five years if you were 15 or younger. You can also head to CTravel to find the expiration date of your passport by entering the year your passport was issued and how old you were at the time of issue.

Not researching passport laws.

Check the passport laws for the countries you plan on visiting. Some countries including Brazil, Singapore, Ecuador, Indonesia, Romania, Israel, Paraguay and Malaysia will not allow you to visit within six months of your passport expiration date. Countries including Denmark, Cambodia, Switzerland, Fiji and Greenland will not allow people with passports within three months of expiring.

Not having enough blank pages.

 If you travel abroad frequently, you may be running low on space for stamps in your passport. In most countries, you will need at least two blank pages to be granted entry. Once it is full, you will need to apply for a new one. There is also an option to apply for a Frequent Travelers Passport which is a bit more expensive but will save you money in the long run.

Not renewing after a name change.

Have you recently gotten married and changed your name?  It’s important not to forget to also change it on your passport. If it has been less than a year since your current passport was issued, you are eligible for a free change with a DS-5504 form. If it has been over a year, you will need to provide a renewal form along with a new photo and documents proving your new name.

Traveling with a damaged passport.

Significantly damaged passports are completely ineligible for travel, according to State Department guidelines. This includes water damage, substantial tears, missing visa pages and either damage,  and rips or markings on your bio page in the front. You may think its fine if your passport has any sign of damage,  but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Apply for a new one online or by mail.

Are you traveling abroad soon? Don’t forget to pack travel protection! Visit or call 1-800-243-3174 for a no-obligation quote.

Travel Insured logo